CAN I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION, PLEASE?

Angee went through this period of being fascinated by snakes. Big snakes, little snakes ...anything that she thought might possibly be a snake... had her jumping at all twigs or branches laying on the ground as though it was her only mission in life. Unfortunately, this fascination would cause her to dart at the smallest twigs immediately in front of every step I took. So long as I watched Angee we could avoid problems. The moment I took my eyes off her (like when I looked at the scenery) Angee would likely jump at something exactly where I was to step, scaring both of us. All the more reason for Angee to walk at my side such that she would be mindful of where I was likely to step. It took some work to get her to walk at heel, but she picked it up when I persisted. She seems to walk best after she has exercised for a while and has had a chance to calm down and behave.



Training Angee to walk at my side has been important in getting her attention as we walk. Back when she led me during walks I was pretty much 'out of sight, out of mind'. Walking at my side somehow strengthens my attempts at getting her attention. Of course I reinforce her noticing me by giving her a piece of kibble when she responds to my calling her name.

No comments: